Today is the fourth day of Christmas, and although I don’t have Four Calling Birds to share with you, I do have my friend Barbara’s recipe for Cranberry Brownies. As long as you can lay your hands on fresh cranberries, you can enjoy these most delicious seasonal Brownies, which by the way, are not brown!
- Sugar 75g
- Butter 175g
- Eggs 4
- Plain flour 150g
- Baking powder 1 tsp
- Ground almonds 100g
- Mincemeat 400g, or one jar
- Fresh cranberries 150g
- Glace cherries 75g
- Flaked almonds 50g
- Heat the oven to 180 C, 350 F Gas Mark 4.
- Butter and line a large rectangular cake tin 20 cm x 30 cm.
- Cream the butter and the sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one by one, beating well in between.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture and fold in.
- Add the mincemeat, the ground almonds, the cranberries, the cherries and the flaked almonds and fold them all in carefully but thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for about 35 minutes, or until a sharp knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. If you think it is getting too dark on top, cover it with a piece of tinfoil and continue cooking.
- When done, take it out of the oven and let it cool. Then cut into squares.
Barbara is an inspirational cook. If you want to find out more about what she does, you can see for yourself. http://www.timeout-for-you.co.uk/