Here is another apple cake recipe, as promised. It is Canadian, hence the maple leaf. And it’s fab! You will love it.
SPICY APPLE CRUMBLE BARS
Ingredients for the crumble
- Butter 175g
- Brown sugar 175g
- Plain flour 175g
- Baking powder 1 tsp
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Porridge oats 100g
Ingredients for the filling
- Apples 700g
- Sugar 50g*
- Corn flour, 2TB
- Raisins 225g
- Cinnamon 2 tsp
- Ground nutmeg 1/2 tsp
- Ground allspice 1/2 tsp
- Butter 25g
*This is what the recipe says. I find it too sweet, so I leave it out, especially if the apples are sweet.
- Heat oven to 350F, 180C, Gas Mark 4.
- Butter a baking tin, or swiss roll tin, 33cm x 23cm.
- Work the butter and sugar together until the mixture forms large crumbs, then work in the other crumble ingredients. Divide the mixture in half.
- Pat one half into the swiss roll tin, pressing it down evenly with the back of a spoon.
- Peel, core and grate the apples.
- Mix with the cornflour, sugar if you are using it, raisins and spices. Spread the apple mixture over the base and top evenly with the remaining crumble.
- Dot with flakes of butter, and bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool and cut into bars.
The recipe is from A harvest of apples by Ruth Ward